Student Profile: John R. S. Tabuti
posted on June 6, 2017 4:44pm
John R. S. Tabuti, participant in the Graduate Certificate in Forest Carbon Science, Policy, and Management
The Graduate Certificate in Forest Carbon Science, Policy, and Management equips participants with the interdisciplinary tools and conceptual background to plan, implement, manage, and evaluate forestry-based, climate change mitigation projects. Read how John R. S. Tabuti is utilizing his program experiences in Uganda.
- Kampala, Uganda
- Kampala, Uganda
- Makerere University
Previous Work Experience:
- University Professor
- PhD Ethnobotany, Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU; formerly the Agricultural University of Norway), 2003
- MSc in Botany, Makerere University, 1997
- BSc (Botany/Zoology), Makerere University, 1993
What drew you to participate in the MSU Graduate Certificate in Forest Carbon Science, Policy, and Management?
- I wanted to understand more how to mitigate climate change via the REDD+ mechanism.
How do you see completing this certificate as fitting in with your career or career goals?
- Completing this course will:
- Create opportunities for me to write research grants
- Improve my teaching
What specific knowledge and skills did you strengthen with this program?
- My understanding of the climate change debate
- Social and human dimensions that regulate human behavior concerning conservation of biological resources.
- My capacity of understanding the concepts of tenure, participation, property rights; financing of carbon projects, economics of carbon sequestration; stakeholder engagement including consultation, FPIC and negotiations
In your view, how do you see the Forest Carbon Graduate Certificate in Science, Policy, and Management building your marketability as a professional?
- It markets me as a potential consultant and educator on issues of climate change mitigation and especially REDD+.
- I have noticed my capacity for supervising graduate social research projects improving.
What types of individuals do you believe would benefit from this program?
- Professionals in the sectors of justice, environmental economics